Which campsites are near Switzerland's best hiking trials? Where to camp close to the best hikes.
Find out the two best waterfront campsite that are near Switzerland’s best day hikes! These campsites near hiking heaven Berner Oberland and the Appenzell Alps. Not only are these campsite beautiful, they are also practical hubs where you can stay for many nights in a row to do amazing day trips nearby!
These two waterfront campsites in Switzerland are so nice, you’ll have a hard time leaving!
Best place to camp near Appenzell Alps hikes
Camping Murg on the shores of Walensee
This campsite is a hub to do these Swiss day trips
Use Camping Murg as a hub while doing the following day hikes and day trips in the area (time by car):
- 25min to the gondola Pizolbahn in Wangs to get to the start of the Pizol 5 Lakes hike. Discover where and how to wild camp the Pizol 5 Lakes hike to escape the crowds.
- 50 min to the gondola Tierfehd to get to the start of the relatively unknown Limmernsee hike (day hike or optional overnight stay).
- 43min to the gondola valley station Frümsen for Saxer Lücke hike. Though the Saxer Lücke hike can easily be done in half a day, I recommend making it an overnight hike. Find out exactly where and how to wild camp at Saxer Lücke.
- 1h 8min to gondola station Wasserauen for the Schäfler hike
- 1h 14min to the highest peak in the region: Säntis
Why this waterfront campsite is one of Switzerland's best
It’s hard finding a nice campsite near the Appenzell Alps. The drive between this camping area and the Appenzell Alps is a little further than some other campsites, but the view and relaxing atmosphere make it worthwhile!
The tent pitches are right next to the water of the Walensee lake. If you are lucky you will get a lakeside spot. The only downside is that the spots are a little crowded. To avoid this you could stay at the grassy field on the other end of the camping which is much less crowded (coordinates: 47.1147550, 9.2137450). The walk to the toilets is further, but it’s more peaceful and it has lovely views of the lake. Ask reception if you can pitch your tent here.
One of the great features of camping Murg is that it has a communal grassy sun bathing area (with shade as well). This way you can enjoy the lake view even if aren’t able to get a tent pitch right next to the lake’s edge. You use the sun bathing area to put your chairs and enjoy breakfast or dinner with a lake view. Enjoy!
Camping Murg offers free access to a washing machine, dryer, kitchen and living room area. This is perfect for rainy weather. Showers are spacious and hot water is free of charge.
Best campsite for hiking in Berner Oberland
TCS Interlaken: waterfront campsite within walking distance of Interlaken's city center
You can do these Swiss hikes and day trips from this campsite
Use TCS Interlaken as a hub while doing the following day hikes and day trips in the area:
- 30 min by car to Lombachalp to do the alternative Augstmatthorn hike and beat the crowds
- 19 min by car to Lauterbrunnen (one of Switzerland’s must see villages)
- 43 min by car to valley station Kandersteg for the Oeshinensee hike
- 6 min by car to Winderwil. Here the train departs to the starting point of the Panorama hike at Schynige platte .
- 6 min by car to Grindelwald gondola station for Bachalpsee. Do your homework beforehand and decide: is the Bachalpsee Lake worth visiting?.
Why this is one of Switzerland's best campsites
The camp site TCS Interlaken is walking distance from Interlaken’s city center (15min) and Harder Kulm funicular (5min). From the grassy tent pitch, you’ll have lovely views of the turquoise river Aare, which connects the the equally turquoise lakes Brienzersee and Thunersee. You’ll also enjoy the picturesque Hotel du Lac and river cruise boats right across the water! You couldn’t wish for a more beautiful camp site view.
The grassy tent field has some shady spots along the edges. The electricity is free of charge, but bring a long cable if you need electricity at your tent. For rainy days there is a communal living room. Hot water is free of charge and the sanitary facilities were very clean when we were there.
Note that this campsite (TCS Interlaken located next to the river Aare) is a different campsite that TCS Camping Böningen – Interlaken which is located on the shores of the Brienzersee.