Discover why and how to do this easy day hike in the Dolomites: Seceda ridge! Don’t miss out on the unique rock formation Pieralongia, which is only a short away form the bustle. Also, I’ll let you in on the secret where to take the best photos of Seceda!
Table of Contents
Why do the Seceda hike in the Dolomites (Italy)?
The Seceda hike is famous for its jagged, rocky mountain ridge and contrasting grassy, green slopes. Also, it’s an easy hike if you take the gondola up! With minimal hiking effort you can enjoy the killer Seceda ridgeline views. If you’d like to hike more you can do an optional detour to admire the unique rock formation of Pieralongia.
Quick facts Seceda hike + optional Pieralongia detour
- Duration hike: 20min return + optional 2h detour (return)
- Gondola valley station: Ortisei (St. Ulrich), for practical information about the gondola to Seceda skip down
- Hike starts at: mountain gondola station Seceda
- Gondola ticket price: €32 pp (return ticket)
- Parking costs: €8 per day
The best photo spots at Seceda, Italian Dolomites
There are different jaw dropping photo spots of the Seceda ridge all within a few minutes walk from the gondola.
Directions to Seceda's best photo spots: how to get there
Where can you take the best photos of Seceda ridge? Seceda’s best photo spots can already be seen when you get off the gondola. At the gondola exit the first photo spot is clearly marked. You can’t miss it!
Optional Pieralongia detour (2 hour return)
Do you want to enjoy the scenery around Seceda some more and hike a little longer? Then add the detour to Pieralongia (2 hours return) to your hiking itinerary!
How to get to the Pieralongia rock formation from Seceda
When you are walking along the Seceda hiking trail, you can already see the Pieralongia rock formation. There are also signs to point you in the right direction. Just follow trail 2B until you get there! It is next to the mountain hut (rifugio) Malga Pieralongia Alm where you can order food and drinks before heading back to the gondola.
How to get to Seceda ridge: gondola + hiking route
The gondola leaves from valley station Ortisei, but it isn’t marked very clearly on Google, so here are the coordinates: 46.57665406494436, 11.674896974571894. You will need to take two gondola’s up to get to Seceda:
- First, take the gondola Ortisei to Furnes
- Next, at Furnes you will transfer to the cable car that takes you up to Seceda
From the top of the Seceda cable car it’s only a 10 minute walk to the viewpoint of Seceda! It’s clearly marked, so just follow the signs.
Once you’ve reached the top, enjoy the view of Seceda!
What's next? Discover more...
Near Seceda day hike: Other rewarding, short hikes with limited walking
- Alpe di Siusi (Seiser Alm) is a much photographed plateau and is the highest Alpine meadow. The gondola to Alpe di Siusi departs from the same village Ortisei as the gondola to Seceda, so you can easily combine these two sites in 1 day. It’s also possible to drive up to Alpe di Siusi before 09:00 AM. After that the entrance road is closed. Only guests staying at accommodation on the plateau can use the entrance road. You can find more information about the traffic regulations to drive up to Alpe di Siusi or information about the different gondola’s that take you up to Alpe di Siusi.
- Cinque Torri requires no hiking and is 1h 10min away from Seceda by car.
Tre Cime (Drei Zinnen) National Park is a must-see when you’re in the Dolomites. The 1h and 40min drive from Seceda will be worth it! With these three secret detours at Tre Cime National Park you’ll escape the crowds and have the best photos.
Discover impressive ridge hikes in neighbouring Switzerland
Do you like the jagged, rocky Seceda ridge in the Dolomites (Italy)? Then you’ll definitely enjoy the following ridge hiking trails in neighbouring Switzerland:
- Augstmatthorn hike (Switzerland). Don’t let the crowds ruin your experience. With this lesser-known alternative Augstmatthorn hiking route you’ll have the Augstmatthorn hiking trail all to yourself yourself!
- Schäfler (Switzerland): an easy going half day hike.
- Saxer Lücke (Switzerland). To add some extra adventures you can also do the Saxer Lücke hike as an overnight hike and have the scenery all to yourself! Discover exactly where and how to wild camp at Saxer Lücke.